Friday, July 27, 2007

Diaper bombs

This story takes place in the town of Slavonski Brod. Yesterday a young father of four was casually changing the diapers of his 9 month old son, and unsuspectingly threw the dirty diaper on the bathroom floor after he finished. No one could imagine what would happen next.
The diaper was laying close to a pile of dirty clothes. High temperature, moisture and feces that filled the diaper chemically reacted, creating methane, a highly flammable gas. In a few minutes a thick smoke filled the house, flames licking the walls and causing numerous explosions of installations and household appliances.

Photo by: Ivica Galovic,

The father managed to get all of his children safely out of the house, and no one was injured. The house was newly furnished, and the family has relatively low income (The father works as a baker.), so this will be a hard blow to them. Nevertheless they were all happy to come out of it alive.

No comments: